There really is something to the whole "right place, right time" phenomenon. Yesterday I was able to be someone who was in the right place at the right time.
(I would have blogged about this yesterday, but my STUPID internet is on the fritz. Now I have millions of things to try to do in this hour at my parents house utilizing their computer)For those who may not know, I work for a family helping them around the house with things like ironing and such. Cailen gets to tag along which is handy for me and he likes to run around a new house and watch lots of movies. Lately I have been going a little later than I would like because of Cailen's naptime and such. This means that I am at the house when the two kids get home for a little bit. I was ironing away as the girl Tess, 11 years old, comes running down the stairs and asks me to hurry and help her because she saw a neighbor, an old man, fall as she was walking home from school and she needed help picking him up. So I leave Cailen to the 8 year old (eek!) as I rush out to help the poor old man. For some reason, I really just expected to pick him up, say, "You ok?" and then head back to finish my ironing. But this is an old person! With every fall with the elderly, something is going to be hurt, broken, shaken up, etc. So when I ran up and saw this man flailing on the ground trying to get up amidst a pool of blood, I kinda freaked a little. I have never in my life called 911 and so that day was my first. I called 911 as Tess got the address off the house for me. I tell the lady who answered the address, my observations of the injuries (bloody nose, cut lip, missing teeth, bump on head, lots of blood), etc. As I am helping the old man sit up (don't worry, it was ok for him to move, plus he was fighting like CRAZY to get up), his poor little wife opens the door and is having a hard time figuring out what happened to her husband. Turns out he had a stroke 5 years ago, is 96 yrs old and he wandered off while she was "having her rest." Poor guy! So the ambulance came, I helped the lady call her children so that she could get a ride to the hospital too and then waited with her until her daughter came to get her. *Sigh* I was a good Samaritan. And there are my blessings because I feel like I just boasted to the world. But that's not why I am telling this story! It's because it was cool to be able to be the one to help someone. To be there at the right time and place to help someone out...that's cool. Ok, I'm kind of in a rush to get out of the house so this post isn't ending quite as I wanted to, but oh well. Bye!

1 comment:
Good for you, Val! I know you weren't bragging--it's nice to feel like you got to be a help to someone when they really, really needed it. Kind of like this one time in Provence when this girl I was walking next to fell in a ditch right in front of the bus driver, and I totally helped her up and made sure she was okay and all...oh, wait--that wasn't me! I was the one who asked, "Woah, [anonymous girl]! Are you okay?!" and then ran onto the bus and got my giggles out while hiding in my seat so [anonymous girl] wouldn't see me laugh. Because it wasn't funny--but in a teensy little way, it really, really was. Like when I tripped on the stairs to the metro and grabbed the BUTT of the girl in front of me to keep from falling. Not funny at the moment, but much, much funnier afterward!!!
Post a Comment