Sunday, September 20, 2009

Touch a Truck

Here I am at my actual 100th post! I am trying to check out more of the activities that are going on around in the area, many of them free. One such activity was the Touch a Truck at the University of Utah. It cost about $5 (thanks Dad!) and was totally worth it! Mark and I took Cailen and my mom and dad, brother Ryan and sister Heather came with us too! Cailen was able to see a bunch of big rigs, fire engines, cement trucks, police command centers, limos, mail trucks, etc. It was really cool! He loved climbing on all of them and pretending to drive. He especially liked the fire engines, big rigs and command center (they had a screen that showed the parking lot and my brother Ryan ran out to wave to him so he could see him on the TV. It was funny!) They had a bunch of other cool stuff too. They had fingerprinting kits for the kids (we got one for Cailen), Home Depot projects (we picked out the helicopter and Cailen got a cool orange Home Depot apron), face painting (Cailen - snake, me - soccer ball for Real Salt Lake, who ended up losing their game that night), and caricatures! ALL FREE! Cailen's caricature is funny looking. I don't think it looks much like him, but it was fun and hey, free! And who can say they had their caricature drawn at the age of 2! Cailen had a blast and it tuckered him all out.
Dump Truck
Painting a car! With Ryan, his uncle
Touching Banana, the python!
petting the coyote!
Cailen the Mailman!
Big Rig!
Daddy and Cailen in the Fire Truck!
Cailen loved this one!
In the Command Center, ready to go!
Bulldozing with Ryan!
Cailen's snake
My soccer ball
Afterwards, Mark had to leave to work on some homework, but I headed with my family to see the 9th and 9th Festival. This is a neighborhood street festival in the 900 E and 900 S area. Lots of vendors, entertainment and dogs! We grabbed lunch at Great Harvest and while we were eating outside, Cailen found a few friends! He loved all the dogs that were walking by and a few happened to be sitting next to us with their owners. Cailen waltzed right over and plopped himself down by one guy and started chatting him up! It was hilarious! The guy was really nice, talked to him about his dog, let him hold the leash, showed him how to pet the dog, etc. It was so funny! He and his friends were nice to Cailen. And Cailen loved their two dogs! I really wanted to get a picture because it was so hilarious, but I felt kinda silly, so I didn't. But it was funny. I didn't realize my child was so friendly! Afterwards, Cailen pretty much fell asleep while we wandered the streets looking at the booths. My dad bought Cailen a bubble gun, which he later enjoyed immensely! My mom bought a bunch of watch bands (you know those cool interchangeable bead ones that are so in right now) at such a steal. Way to go Mom! I found a replacement ring for Mark's wedding band because he lost his (this would be the THIRD one he's had now!) but Mark wasn't there to try it on, so I had to just settle with getting the card for the company. It was a lot of fun and made for a great Saturday!! Afterwards, we even added swimming to our list of activities! It was the last day that my parents' neighborhood pool was open so we thought we'd hit that up and it was a lot of fun. A full day of fun, that's for sure! I am looking forward to finding more activities in the area that we can scope out and enjoy. Let me know if any of you Utahns know about something exciting!
Swimming!

No comments:

"...it was then that I carried you." - Footprints