Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Davis Family Campout

I am having issues with my camera. As I mentioned before, we have moved houses and while I am thankful for all the help we got moving, I have no idea where anything is!!! And that includes my camera charger and plug to the computer. I could not get any pictures off my camera in order to take more! Finally I stuck the memory card in my parents computer so that I would take some pictures this last weekend. Sadly, I didn't leave them on here, I transferred them all and then deleted them (dumb) so they are on my computer at home with no internet instead of on my parents' computer WITH internet. *Sigh* So I have limited pictures to share but I figured I had better take this opportunity to post and update a little :) I'll transfer some other pictures later to share. And now my camera is dead and so I need to solve that problem as well!! Moving on...

Memorial Day weekend is a tradition for my family because it is our annual Davis Family Campout. This is a family reunion that has been going on for 47 years!! It started with my great-grandparents and has included all of their decendants. Talk about a lot of people! We rent out an entire campground and hang out for the whole weekend. I missed out on it a lot when we were living in Texas, but now that I am in Utah, I've gone every year (minus the year Cailen was born bc I didn't want to go into labor while camping...not fun). This year we had a family picture taken and I think it brought a lot of people to town that normally don't make it. Or we just had a big baby boom or something. Anyway, there was a record attendance of 550 people!!! WOWEE!! How awesome. The number of total descendants is something like 770. Craziness, talk about a big family. My grandpa came from like 11 kids so it's inevitable. It was a lot of fun though to see all my cousins and tons of people I didn't really know (ha). We set up camp Friday and just enjoyed the day watching everyone arrive. Then we had pictures Saturday and there was a carnival with kids games in the afternoon. Then there is a dance every Saturday where the kids can all get together and do silly dances like the Chicken dance and the Macarena (I loathe this dance and refuse to dance to it EVERY year. Too many middle school dances have scarred me with this song). Cailen eventually learned the Chicken dance but that was days later so he didn't do a whole lot at the dance. I think he was a bit overwhelmed! Sunday we have a little church service where we tell the numbers that year (550! CRAZY!) and the missionaries who returned in the previous 12 months come up to talk about their missions. It's always pretty cool. Someone talked about heritage and it was really cool to listen because that is what the whole weekend is really about, our heritage and our family. Sunday evening we all get together to sing silly songs (seriously weird, but cool songs) and have the kids perform a play that the return missionaries put together. Family Feud is always played and miraculously the men always win (Mark Garfield, we all know you rig it). It's a lot of fun. Every year it usually rains but this year was AMAZING weather! It was sunny and warm and not a drop fell. It was a miracle! We all think it was because we prepared this year for rain. We never really prepare for it and it always comes even though we hope it doesn't. So this year we assumed it would and had all sorts of shelter and it was beautiful weather!! Here are some pictures from the weekend (Clarissa, I snagged a few from your Facebook, hope you don't mind!)
This is my generation, all of us 2nd cousins! There are a total of 300-and something. Wow!

Here are all of the 1st cousins, my parents' generation. There are a total of 76 of them!

The family dance - People doing the Bunny Hop! (yes, that's my mom and dad, for those of you wondering)

My cousin Case bringing up the rear, trying to get Cailen involved :)


Carnival games


Face Painting! Cailen chose to get Mickey Mouse. We later put RSL on his other cheek for Dad :)


Cailen taking a nap. It was hot out so we stripped him down a little


Hanging out with his 2nd cousin Emily and my 1st cousin Sara (Sara is my cousin Clarissa's sister and Emily is Clarissa's daughter!)

*I am on my husband's laptop while camping (they have wi-fi!) and only had what I had saved from working on this at my parents' house, so there are more pictures that I will add later :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Aw wish I could have been there!

Jacob & Clarissa said...

Feel free to take pictures from my facebook! I took some pictures from Aunt Margaret's facebook for my blog post!

"...it was then that I carried you." - Footprints