Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 New Year's Resolutions

Ok, so I figured this year I should really make an attempt to make some resolutions for the new year. That way I will have some concrete goals and I will have this blog and my readers (there are some out there aren't there?) to keep me honest. So here goes with my list:

1. Read the BOM 3 times. I made a goal last year to finish the BOM by Thanksgiving, which gave me approximately 30 days since I made the goal a few days before Halloween. That was a crazy month. And needless to say, I didn't make it. But I did finish before Christmas, which was two months of reading, so I figure 4 months each time through should be plenty!!
2. Included in the above is to read the scriptures daily. This is both personal and as a couple.
3. Daily prayer, personal and as a couple. MORNING and night.
4. Scrapbook!!! I gotta get a bunch done. Doubt I'm going to do this one as well as I'd like, but I'm sure going to try!!!!
5. Organize my storage room. This is a BIGGY. But I realllllly need to do it because I can never find anything and I'm sure half of it is junk anyway, so I really need to go through it. I gotta do this one!!
6. EXERCISE consistently. Even if it's a lousy and useless one-time-a-week thing. I have a membership to the Rec Center and it's doing me no good!
7. Travel as much as possible. Europe?? Argentina?? ZIONS?
8. Taking a page from my friend Megan's list: Be more DIY and re-usable. I need to get my creative juices flowing! I'm on a tight budget and I know I can be doing more myself.
9. My husband will be thrilled about this one. Cook dinner more (homemade...ish). Then we can live on leftovers or something. I'm really trying to get my food storage together and make meals using that stuff. Or at least make things myself and not from a box! So if anyone has any yummy (and easy?) recipes, I would totally appreciate it!
10. Judge others less and focus on improving myself. I can't make anyone change, so I can only be the best example I can be.
11. Get outside more and be creative about the family activities we do. Granted, it needs to warm up to get outside, but I know there are free and cheap activities out there that we can do as a family. Again, if anyone has any ideas (tried and true or even experimental!) let me know!!!
12. Volunteer. I'm wanting my sister to move to Utah ASAP so I can have a wingman for this sorta thing. I have been wanting to do this for awhile now and well, 2008 just wasn't my year. So in 2009 I am going to work hard at it! At least do service for others, that counts too :)
13. Play with Cailen more often. I mean, sit down, focus on Cailen and help him enjoy being young as well as teach him things! My sister-in-law just gave me some flash cards and he got some educational toys for Christmas, so we'll work on our numbers, alphabet, animals, etc. I want some dedicated sit down play time, where nothing else gets in the way. If I have to schedule it in, by golly, I'm going to schedule it in!
14. Along with #13, finish Cailen's Animal Alphabet book!! I've been working on this for like 9 months now...all it needs is to be laminated to! You would think in 9 months I could have laminated it....Well, I'm going to get it done!!
15. I figured a round number of 15 sounds good for my resolutions, so #15 will be get dolled up every now and then. Not anything crazy, but do my hair, makeup, dress nice, whatever so that I feel pretty and good about myself :) If Mark happens to get me what I want for my birthday (ballroom dance lessons for the both of us) then maybe the time I'm dolled up can be spent going out. We'll see. I might just be watching Toy Story with Cailen instead, haha!

I might have overdone it a bit..I'm slightly worried. But at the same time, it can all be done!! I modified it a bit after I reviewed the list and took out words like "once a week," "every month, " etc (except for the religious goals). That way, all I can do is improve, right? Haha, so help me keep it up! Here's to a GREAT 2009!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Once I get up there we can work on a bunch of those together :)

Sheena said...

When I cook I like to make something that's going to last us a few meals (like a big pot of chili or soup, or a whole bunch of spaghetti sauce) because then we can have something good to eat every night and I don't have to spend all my time cooking. It doesn't work as well if you have leftovers or if you're feeding a lot of people, but it seems to work pretty well for John and I! Also, try to crock-pot it, that can be pretty easy and tasty

"...it was then that I carried you." - Footprints